Skip to main content

La Fernanda and La Bernarda de Utrera documentary

 

Last year, the town of Utrera (Seville) marked the 100th anniversary of the birth of La Fernanda de Utrera, who was born at 22 Calle Nueva on 9 February 1923, with a series of cultural initiatives. Flamenco recitals, exhibitions and tertulias about this outstanding flamenco singer and her sister, La Bernarda, took place at various locations in the town throughout the year.

One of the most eagerly awaited of these initiatives was a documentary about these two divas that was to be made by La Filmahora, with the collaboration of Canal Sur television, and Utrera town hall, among others.[1]

I had been contacted by the producer, Rocio Martín, who asked if I would like to participate, an offer which I accepted wholeheartedly.

Rocío had previously contacted my good friend Luis El Marquesito to obtain information about the family, especially the line of Inés Peña Vargas, the mother of La Fernanda and La Bernarda, and the daughter of the mythical El Pinini, a singer whose family I had spent many years researching.

El Marquesito told Rocío about the work I had done concerning his family, which resulted in a book (The Clan of El Pinini), along with a family tree, a project that El Pinini’s family had supported, and which is now on permanent display in the Museo del Baile Flamenco in Seville. El Marquesito informed Rocío that I would be a good person to speak with seeing as I am considered a knowledgeable authority on this gargantuan Gypsy flamenco clan. I was honoured and overwhelmed at the proposal, and even more so because of the Pinini family’s endorsement, which is an accolade in itself.


Javier with La Farruca

My interview was set for 29 December 2022. I was not sure where my part was to be filmed, but I assumed it would be somewhere relevant in the town centre - Calle Nueva maybe? The producer had other plans. Instead, we headed to the campiña, where, at 9am on a bitterly cold and overcast morning, a chair with my name on was placed in the middle of a field, with the Utrera skyline as a back drop.

Apart from the temperature, and the descending mist, the filming went to plan, and, according to the team, my contribution had been just what they had hoped for.

The documentary took some time to complete, for Rocío had a huge list of renowned flamenco performers and celebrities to include in the production, which was finally aired on national television (Canal Sur) in the January of 2024. However, I, along with many of the other participants, had been invited to the premier, or first screening, which took place in the CaixaForum auditorium in the La Barqueta district of Seville in October 2023.

We had been asked to arrive at the venue at around 7.30pm for the photocall. A barrage of cameras awaited the never-ending string of flamenco artists and the hierarchy of Seville’s social scene, the first of whom I spotted was José Víctor Rodríguez Caro, the flamboyant fashion designer who was co-founder of the Spanish fashion house, Victorio Y Lucchino. Dressed in ‘20s-style attire (Harold Lloyd sprang to mind), Victorio headed straight over to us, but not to talk with me, but with my partner, Javier, who has known the designer for many years.

The area was soon filled with some of the most formidable flamenco hierarchy of recent times, including Esperanza Fernández, and her father, Curro **, La Farruca (mother of Farrucuito), and the celebrated guitarist Paco del Gastor, someone I was keen to meet.

During the writing of my first book, Flamenco; an Englishman’s passion, I was given a photograph of Paco from when he visited the popular flamenco tablao El Jaleo (Torremolinos, Malaga) during the early 1970s. The photograph was given to me by a dear friend, who had met the young guitarist (he was in his late 20s at the time) on that night. Thankfully, I had a copy of this picture stored in my mobile phone, which I showed to Paco, who is now 80. We spent the next 20 minutes talking about Morón de la Frontera, which is where Paco was born, and also about his uncle, the legendary Diego del Gastor, someone who was featured in the documentary because he was the favourite accompanist of La Fernanda de Utrera. 

Paco del Gastor

I was also introduced to La Farruca, again by Javier, who grew up in the same district of Seville as had her large dynasty. Her father, El Farruco, is, in my opinion, one of the greatest dancers in the history of flamenco, so we had plenty to talk about.

We were all soon ushered into the auditorium for the screening, and I must admit to being extremely nervous. We were sat with Esperanza and her father, Paco, and La Farruca, who grabbed my arm every time her father was mentioned. ‘This is my father’, she informed me with a glowing smile: although I had only been introduced to her moments before, she put me at ease with her welcoming nature and typical Gypsy sense of humour. 

 

I did not realise to after the film had finished that many of my friends from Utrera were also at the screening, including Dani de Utrera (one of today’s most orthodox young singers), who embraced me and congratulated on my participation. ‘You are a true friend of the people of Utrera,’ he informed me.

We left the auditorium and headed to the bar area, where an after-screening reception was held. This had been a truly enjoyable evening, not because I had participated in the documentary, but because when one is in the company of Gypsy flamenco performers, one is overcome with a sense of happiness.

I was approached the mayor of Utrera, Curro Romero (not he bullfighter!) who claimed that he was keen to meet me seeing as he had heard so much about this Englishman who has a passion for Utrera and its flamenco. He was interested in the Pinini family tree, and seemed surprised when I explained the time-line of the genealogical chart - 1790- to present day. Plans were set in motion for a copy of this tree to be displayed in the Casa de Cultura in Utrera, although, as with most projects promoted by town halls, this is yet to materialise.

 

Tony Bryant’s three books concerning the art of flamenco are available from Amazon.






[1] La Filmahora is an independent production company that emerged in 2020. Canal Sur Radio y Televisión is a company belonging to the public business agency RTVA of the Junta de Andalucía.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do we need another version of Harvest Moon? Elizabeth Zeder and her “weird well of musicians”

Elizabeth Zeder - Karl Smallman I seldom get excited when asked to review the recording of a cover version of a song of which I am particularly fond of the original. I am a staunch believer that original versions cannot be bettered. How can a cover version be better than what the composer originally envisaged for their music? Of course, there are exceptions, but few and far between. What is even more difficult is when the request for a critical ear comes from a friend, acquaintance or someone I respect. As I said, there are, occasionally, exceptions to the rule, one of which landed on my desk recently.  Last year, I had the pleasure of interviewing Elizabeth Zeder, an American jazz singer based in Gaucín. Elizabeth has established herself among what is fast becoming a thriving music community in the Serranía de Ronda (Málaga), and so she had no trouble selecting suitable musicians to participate in the recording of her latest offering, a jazzy-pop-style version of Harvest Moon.   The

'Flamenco; an Englishman's passion' comes of age

  Flamenco; an Englishman’s passion was my first foray into the world of flamenco, a book that I was very privileged to have published by flamenco sapiens , the editorial arm of the Museo del Baile Flamenco in Seville. Since its first publication in the summer of 2006, just a few months after this state-of-the-art museum (the first and only one of its kind in the world) opened its doors, the book has become the one that my career as a writer has been most associated with. I have since completed a trilogy of books concerning the art of flamenco and the people who (in my humble opinion) best perform it – the Andalusian Gypsies, but it the first book - celebrating its 18 th birthday, or coming of age, this year - that is the one that has received the most attention. Some of the literary platforms like Good Reads claimed that the book “ taps into flamenco's history and is a great learning resource for anyone with an interest in flamenco”; while Google Books said, “ This book p

Punk Prayer: an ode to the generation of '76

Having been part of the punk rock movement that shook the UK with the ferocity of a native uprising in the mid to late 1970s, reviewing The Wasps latest CD was something of a trip down memory lane.   Having written about the band several times since their reformation in 2020, and interviewing both the original lead singer and song writer, Jesse Lyn-Dean, and his guitarist, Martin Hope, reviewing Punk Prayer was a task I undertook with enthusiasm. The CD is the follow up (although delayed by some 40 years) to The Wasp’s 1976 album, Punkryonics Plus, an album that brought the band considerable success.  Described as one of the best bands to emerge from the original British punk explosion, the band launched their latest offering with a mini tour in June 2022, which took in several dates in Spain, Portugal and the UK, including the celebrated Water Rats venue, located in the increasingly vibey music scene of Kings Cross. The first thing that struck me about the new disc was that it