Skip to main content

A few words from Luis El Marquesito about Tony Bryant and his book The Clan of El Pinini

 


How can it be?

My earliest memories of my family are of the warmth of my mother, the smile of my father, the glance of my aunt, the affection of my cousins and the love of my brothers.

I remember that my ancestors intrigued me and I would wonder how they had lived and what had been their beliefs and their preoccupations, and I wondered if these things were just Gypsy things or the things of everyday people.

My father taught me that to be Gypsy was to be no better or worse than anybody else, but he said it was something different to live the life with freedom, and he stressed that the respect for others was fundamental, especially the older generation, because they are the source of our wisdom.

The first references I have of flamenco are from my parents, and the figure that was most emphasised was my great grandfather, Fernando Peña Soto – El Pinini. They said that he was a Gypsy born in Lebrija and that he had come to live in Utrera when he was eight-years old. It was said that he was a very graceful person who sang well, and that he was the creator of a song style known as the ‘cantiñas de Pinini’; he was also said to have sung the bulerías, siguiriyas, toñas and soleá.

I follow with the question; how can it be? I have memories of when I was seven or eight-years old and my father ran a bar in Via Marciala in Utrera, a bar where the flamenco somehow smothered you because it was in the atmosphere, in the walls... My mother hung numerous flamenco photographs on the walls and in these photos were many of the most prominent artistes of the time, including Antonio Mairena, Manolo Caracol and nearly all of those from Utrera. This bar was where all of Utrera’s flamenco performers would meet, as well as many others from outside the town.

I remember many occasions that my cousins Pedro Bacán and Miguel El Funi came to this bar, and they would be in the company of people who had an aspect that appeared a little strange to me. They were blond with blue eyes, and others with long hair, very modern clothes – these people were Americans from the military air base in Morón de la Frontera, and they spoke with an extremely rare accent. Nevertheless, they watched and listened to the flamenco singers with much admiration and respect. One thing that I found strange was that they were very quiet people who said little and rarely would they participate in the fiestas other than occasionally playing the guitar a little.

These Americans made me realise that our music was something important, and today whenever I travel outside of Spain, it is the foreigner that makes me realise that our flamenco music deserves appreciation. The only thing that gives me pain is that this flamenco, which has been passed-down from parents to children, is more valued outside of Spain than it is here.

Through-out my life I have encountered many people who want to capture the tradition of flamenco, whether poets, photographers, film directors or writers, I have tried to explain, and help them feel, flamenco.

Some time ago, I met an Englishman (that looked to be almost three meters tall) who was similar in appearance to the typical characters we see in British films concerning the troubles between the English and the Irish. However, this Englishman asked me what I at first considered unusual questions, because he did not ask me about the singing, the dancing or the guitar, he asked questions concerning my family.

During the course of our many conversations, little by little, I realised that he had a special sensitivity because I saw that the cante affected him emotionally.

It was something very special for me when he said that he was writing a book based on my family tree, because many have written about La Fernanda and La Bernarda, or of Pedro Bacán, but never about the history of my family. It fills me with pride to know that my grandchildren will be able to go to the library to read the history of their family.

This book is not just about flamenco, it is much more, because it is a book about the history of a culture and of a race whose way of living is never captured in the pages of a book.

Therefore, I come to my question: How can it be that an Englishman, who was born more than 2000km from Utrera, approaches, and gets involved with, my culture in such a close and understanding way?

On behalf of my family and myself, I would like to congratulate Tony for his tireless work concerning my family’s history; he must now consider himself one more among us, because this is what he has become.


The new, updated version of The Clan of El Pinini is available from amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Flamenco-Heritage-clan-El-Pinini/dp/1508953570/ref=sr_1_1?crid=LIEPQ1J6ET4Z&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.LQ9yIh5fCAvSQRs8SvluRw.bsT4cG5icYU_hyO0DZBlsXhckm5Ov31tFF0LqDt2bg8&dib_tag=se&keywords=Flamenco+heritage+tony+bryant&qid=1725878198&s=books&sprefix=flamenco+heritage+tony+bryant%2Cstripbooks-intl-ship%2C141&sr=1-1



Luis Núñez Peña – El Marqueisto with author Tony Bryant

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do we need another version of Harvest Moon? Elizabeth Zeder and her “weird well of musicians”

Elizabeth Zeder - Karl Smallman I seldom get excited when asked to review the recording of a cover version of a song of which I am particularly fond of the original. I am a staunch believer that original versions cannot be bettered. How can a cover version be better than what the composer originally envisaged for their music? Of course, there are exceptions, but few and far between. What is even more difficult is when the request for a critical ear comes from a friend, acquaintance or someone I respect. As I said, there are, occasionally, exceptions to the rule, one of which landed on my desk recently.  Last year, I had the pleasure of interviewing Elizabeth Zeder, an American jazz singer based in Gaucín. Elizabeth has established herself among what is fast becoming a thriving music community in the Serranía de Ronda (Málaga), and so she had no trouble selecting suitable musicians to participate in the recording of her latest offering, a jazzy-pop-style version of Harvest Moon.   The

Fearless pensioners

  Daredevil pensioners Some of my most memorable and fulling encounters have been with the older generation, because they often show a capacity for plain speaking having passed that point when they care about inhibitions. We often ignore the link between the older and younger generations, and overlook the fact that senior citizens often act as an inspiration to the young. There are many senior citizens on the coast whose unprecedented determination to help others can sometimes put the younger generation to shame. I am often amazed at the zeal of the people involved with the various charities on the coast, especially seeing as most of them are well past retirement age. One such charity is Age Concern, a Fuengirola-based association that caters for the needs of the over 50s. Along with its programme of events to raise money to run the association, Age Concern also organises an annual challenge, a charity fundraiser that is not for the fainthearted. In 2018, the charity organised a

'Flamenco; an Englishman's passion' comes of age

  Flamenco; an Englishman’s passion was my first foray into the world of flamenco, a book that I was very privileged to have published by flamenco sapiens , the editorial arm of the Museo del Baile Flamenco in Seville. Since its first publication in the summer of 2006, just a few months after this state-of-the-art museum (the first and only one of its kind in the world) opened its doors, the book has become the one that my career as a writer has been most associated with. I have since completed a trilogy of books concerning the art of flamenco and the people who (in my humble opinion) best perform it – the Andalusian Gypsies, but it the first book - celebrating its 18 th birthday, or coming of age, this year - that is the one that has received the most attention. Some of the literary platforms like Good Reads claimed that the book “ taps into flamenco's history and is a great learning resource for anyone with an interest in flamenco”; while Google Books said, “ This book p