Skip to main content

Teaser from Bohemians - Authors


I loved to read biographies as a youngster. Some of my favourites were James Dean, Elvis Presley and Gene Krupa. Some of the stranger ones included Rasputin, Che Guevara, and the Kray Twins.

The infamous East London gangsters had fascinated me as a child and I even went as far as writing to Reggie Kray in the late 1980s after reading his autobiography, In his own Right. To my surprise, and more so, to my mother’s, I received an answer from the notorious gangster thanking me for my comments. Several months later, I received a Christmas card from his brother Ronnie.

Apparently, according to their biographer, John Pearson, the brothers would occasionally swap letters, and at Christmas would send out cards to those who had touched them in some way. Whether this is true, I’m not sure, but the Christmas card did arrive, although I have no idea whatever happened to it.

 

Interviewing authors is another part of my work that I particularly enjoy, for you never know what stories are to be revealed in the pages of their books.

The Kindle direct publishing platform has given authors the possibility of self-publishing at no cost, and so it is no surprise that SUR in English is inundated with authors asking for publicity for their latest offerings. The books cover a varied sphere, from novels to historic works, to personal tragedies and ‘a life in Andalusia’ type offerings.

Chris Stewart is responsible for the ‘Driving Over Lemons’ style of memoires, however, this subject has now been exhausted by a continuous flow of expat authors who have taken the genre to extreme.

Of course, there have been those that are extremely good, and those that were not.

 

Although some people might loath those who find great satisfaction in name dropping, for a journalist who must compile an interesting feature article, this can be a godsend - especially if one thinks the actual subject of the interview might be a little uneventful.

One such occasion occurred was when I was asked to interview a local expat who had just published a book about bird watching.

Although I should know a little about birding (as a child I belonged to the RSPB), it was not a subject that I relished having to write about.

I assumed I would be greeted by a senior citizen wearing a barber jacket and hiking boots, and who spoke in a similar tone to David Attenborough.

The author of the book greeted me outside his apartment by asking, ‘have you ever tried to blow your nose in a plastic bag?’

This threw me for a moment and for once I was stuck for words.

He explained that he had a terrible cold, and while walking his dog, his nose had started to run. The only thing he had to blow his nose in was a poop bag!

I realised immediately that this was no ordinary ornithologist.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do we need another version of Harvest Moon? Elizabeth Zeder and her “weird well of musicians”

Elizabeth Zeder - Karl Smallman I seldom get excited when asked to review the recording of a cover version of a song of which I am particularly fond of the original. I am a staunch believer that original versions cannot be bettered. How can a cover version be better than what the composer originally envisaged for their music? Of course, there are exceptions, but few and far between. What is even more difficult is when the request for a critical ear comes from a friend, acquaintance or someone I respect. As I said, there are, occasionally, exceptions to the rule, one of which landed on my desk recently.  Last year, I had the pleasure of interviewing Elizabeth Zeder, an American jazz singer based in Gaucín. Elizabeth has established herself among what is fast becoming a thriving music community in the Serranía de Ronda (Málaga), and so she had no trouble selecting suitable musicians to participate in the recording of her latest offering, a jazzy-pop-style version of Harvest Moon.   The

'Flamenco; an Englishman's passion' comes of age

  Flamenco; an Englishman’s passion was my first foray into the world of flamenco, a book that I was very privileged to have published by flamenco sapiens , the editorial arm of the Museo del Baile Flamenco in Seville. Since its first publication in the summer of 2006, just a few months after this state-of-the-art museum (the first and only one of its kind in the world) opened its doors, the book has become the one that my career as a writer has been most associated with. I have since completed a trilogy of books concerning the art of flamenco and the people who (in my humble opinion) best perform it – the Andalusian Gypsies, but it the first book - celebrating its 18 th birthday, or coming of age, this year - that is the one that has received the most attention. Some of the literary platforms like Good Reads claimed that the book “ taps into flamenco's history and is a great learning resource for anyone with an interest in flamenco”; while Google Books said, “ This book p

Punk Prayer: an ode to the generation of '76

Having been part of the punk rock movement that shook the UK with the ferocity of a native uprising in the mid to late 1970s, reviewing The Wasps latest CD was something of a trip down memory lane.   Having written about the band several times since their reformation in 2020, and interviewing both the original lead singer and song writer, Jesse Lyn-Dean, and his guitarist, Martin Hope, reviewing Punk Prayer was a task I undertook with enthusiasm. The CD is the follow up (although delayed by some 40 years) to The Wasp’s 1976 album, Punkryonics Plus, an album that brought the band considerable success.  Described as one of the best bands to emerge from the original British punk explosion, the band launched their latest offering with a mini tour in June 2022, which took in several dates in Spain, Portugal and the UK, including the celebrated Water Rats venue, located in the increasingly vibey music scene of Kings Cross. The first thing that struck me about the new disc was that it